Review - MAC Eyeshadow in Shale.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

I really don't understand how I manage it. Both of my CCO trips this summer, I was able to find not only something that I wanted to get my hands on, but that was also part of the permanent range - but cheaper! And last time I scored not one, but two permanent range items - Shale and Nightmoth! I was super excited as both of them had been on my wishlist for quite some time now!

When I picked up Shale, while I thought it was wonderful, I had NO idea how much use I would end up getting out of this shade - turns out, it basically works with almost anything!




Shale is described by MAC as a "mauve plum with subtle shimmer" with a satin finish. Its so complex of a shade, but I commend MAC on being so spot on with the description. I does, however, have a slight taupey quality to it, which makes it a non neutral take on a neutral so to speak. If you are to pair this with, say - purples or silvers, you're going to see it appear more to the mauvey purple side; whereas if you are to pair this with something more browner or more taupe - I wore it with Satin Taupe today - Shale is going to transform into something more neutral and wearable. This makes it a total workhorse of a shade.

It doesn't feel like the average Satin finish to me as it has a bit more shimmer than I'm used to in a Satin - it felt more along the lines of a frost; good but not super buttery pigmentation and a sheen rather than any kind of glitter.

Speaking of pigmentation, its pretty great - not approaching Veluxe Pearl territory, but does anything really? I have no problem getting the color payoff I want and it blends really well - something that surprised me as it is a purple-y shade.

Pros - 

- Unique Color; Works with a lot of different looks.
- Good color payoff.
- Blends very well.

Cons - 

- None! This one blew me away!

Overall I'm quite pleased with this one. I didn't anticipate it being such a staple in my palette, but I'm now finding that it is now one of those "I don't know what I'm going to pair with this so I'll just use this" shades. 

And really, those are the best.

10/10 - Unique and well executed? I'm going to have to recommend it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric