Review - Illamasqua Lipstick in Liv

Friday, May 31, 2013

Illamasqua is a brand that I really wish had better availability in the United States. While they are sold through Sephora's website and freestanding stores the line is limited from the extent that the brand actually offers. The quality across the board is pretty incredible, but it is definitely quite pricey to ship internationally. From my all time favorite blush to my perfect every day contour, I have yet to find a product from the brand that I haven't liked.


Illamasqua lipsticks are housed in a rectangular tube with angular edges that has a fairly sturdy cap. 



The shape of the bullet itself is a bit different from most (akin to Revlon ColorBurst Lipstick's shape) where it is rounded around the edges rather than pointed. I didn't feel that the shape of the bullet had any effect on the  application of the product.


Illamasqua describes Liv as "a soft lavender pink, matt finish". It is a very pale, white pink with lavender tones tones to it. If MAC Saint Germain is pale, Liv takes it to a whole new level. In turn, its not the most wearable shade in my collection. Liv is a bold shade against my skin, which surprised me because I'm so fair skinned.  For day to day wear, its not all too suitable by itself, but it did make an incredible layering shade. Liv can be used to lighten up a darker, vampier look or can be made a bit more wearable when used with a darker lipliner or gloss. 

Liv has a matte finish, and its probably one of the mattest mattes in my collection. There is not a bit of sheen or shine anywhere in this finish. In turn, its quite dry on the lips, but didn't dry my lips out, if that makes any sense whatsoever - keep in mind, matte formulas rarely dry out my lips. The application was a bit tuggy, but applied mostly evenly. The best part of this finish is that it is incredibly longwearing and will not bleed or feather. 

Overall:

Pros - 

- Longwearing.
- Unique shade.
- Layers well.
- Will not feather or bleed.


Cons - 

- Difficult shade to wear.
- Very, very matte finish.

I purchased this shade without trying it on first, and in all honesty, I really should have. I was intending to get a lot more wear out of Liv than I do. However, I really do like how the lipstick feels on my lips. If you want a unique, white pink that won't budge or a great layering shade, have at it. My advice would be if you don't fare well with very matte finishes, this may be a formula to skip.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric