Review - MAC Viva Glam Nicki 2

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

For anyone (like me) who found the first Viva Glam Nicki to be too warm for their skin...lets just say its successor is on the other end of the spectrum. And needless to say, I've been kinda stoked on this since MAC announced the new shade late last year.



As most of my readers are aware, 100% of the proceeds from any Viva Glam product goes to help those living with AIDS. The fact that every cent of the price goes to the charity is a HUGE deal. Not a whole lot of companies give the whole amount. 

MAC describes Nicki 2 as a "Pastel Lavender Pink". It definitely does pull a bit more to lavender than pink, but the pink anchors it from being as avant garde as it could have been. It isn't a traditional or overly "office appropriate shade" but it was executed quite well. It also, like it's predecessor has an Amplified Creme finish (basically meaning a creamy, glossy finish with a high amount of pigment.) While it isn't the most pigmented shade it my collection, its far from sheer. In terms of wear time, it outlasted a Lustre and Cremesheen, but it was not among my more longwearing choices. It also feels similar to Cremesheen on the lips, and was slightly drying. 

I do have a couple similar shades in my collection, as follows.


From L to R there is - Viva Glam Nicki 2, MAC Fresh Amour Mattene, NYX Power and Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss in Lilac Pastelle.

Fresh Amour was a bit more to the purple side and a touch darker. It lacks the pink that Nicki 2 has and is a demi-matte like finish. Power is quite a bit pinker, almost a mauve in comparison and is a more "work friendly" shade. Lilac Pastelle is quite similar, but is not quite as pink and sheerer (OBVIE since its a gloss..). My take from swatching would definitely be that if you have Lilac Pastelle you most definitely do not need the Nicki 2 Gloss that pairs with this lipstick, they're pretty much dupes.

Overall;

Pros - 
 - Nicely pigmented
 - 100% proceeds given to charity
 - Not a whole lot of dupes on the market.

Cons - 
 - Somewhat drying
 - Less than stellar wear time

When push comes to shove, I don't know if this is a shade I'll wear all the time. Its a bit daring, even on my fair skin, but I'm going to push it for this one in the spring months. Basically it was for a good cause and it was my favorite color (overall, not just in terms of cosmetics) so I went for it.

7/10




No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric